Around a week ago, Nathan noticed that his heart was skipping beats, would have palpitations, etc. Thinking that it was the enormous amount of caffeine he drinks in a day, a certain someone advised him to decrease his intake, which within a couple of days, seemed to help. This past Sunday while driving home from his grandparents, he casually mentioned that his head hurt and his whole face was numb - of course, me being the nurse began to analyze every worst case scenario. But, keeping my calm outwardly, I stated that maybe he should take some pain medication (migraines will often cause some facial numbness/tingling). He took the medication and within a couple of hours was feeling more like himself (case solved, so I thought.) I had just gotten up Monday morning when the phone rang - it was Nathan. He's speech was muffled, he was having numbness all through his left side, and could not feel his left leg (which was causing him problems with walking). He advised that a friend was taking him to the ER and for me to meet him there....more worst case scenarios began to run through my head. When I arrived, I quickly did a visual assessment, no facial drooping, speech was slightly more clear, and he was able to walk at this point - face was swollen, but not too noticeable. The physician quickly came in to see him (sometimes helps to have some "clout" especially on a busy day :o) He was attached to the cardiac monitors, blood drawn (which I would have LOVED to have done, but I was a nice wife and let someone else) and was whisked to Cat Scan. Long story short, everything came back normal. Very frustrating for us both (if that makes any sense at all). They ruled out cardiac, stroke, and Bell's Palsy - we were told to follow up with our physician for a MRI. Still slightly confused, we headed home. Throughout the evening, his symptoms moved to the right side - pain was no longer in his head, but a "pressure sensation." I continued to give him an anti-inflammatory since it seemed to temporarily relieve some of the symptoms. In addition, throughout the course of this evening - my vacuum sweeper decided to bite the dust (no pun intended - but caused a house full of burnt rubber smell) and the timer on my new dryer decided to quit working - by 9:00 that evening I had HAD it! I quietly sent up a plea/prayer that I would not lose every small piece of sanity that I do have. Anyways, Nathan followed up with his physician today and they've decided to treat him as a Bell's Palsy patient (simply because they can't figure out what is going on in my humble opinion). He's been placed on medication and they hope to see an improvement within the next few days. Many have stated that you are praying for him and we greatly appreciate that.
Without further adieu, I started my photography class this evening! It's three hours long, one night a week...so for an individual that has ADD and rarely sits still for any period of time....it was a slight challenge. My professor brought his vast collection of cameras this evening to "show and tell" as I called it (would have loved to get my hands on and play with a couple of them, but I refrained myself). Well....sorry for this extremely long, rambling, boring post. It's what happens when a person is brain fried - 'til next time!
We had special prayer for Nathan last night at our church. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Andrea (and your church) for the prayers - they are greatly appreciated.
ReplyDeleteWow! Thinking of you and praying that you will find some answers soon. That is more frustrating than knowing, sometimes!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear Nathan is having more medical issues! I will definitely keep you guys in my prayers!
ReplyDelete