Monday, March 31, 2008

2 years ago...

Caracol Waterfall - from the top of the tower


It doesn't seem like it's been two years since I went on a month's journey to Brazil. While I was working this past weekend - I noticed the date (I usually am totally unaware as to the date unless I am at work). I began to rethink all that I learned, saw, loved, and despised about the trip. I remember getting back to the US and walking back into our hospitals...I wanted to kiss the floor and that is no exaggeration. The hospitals in Brazil lack in supplies and cleanliness and are overflowing with patients. It is not uncommon to have 6-8 patients in a two patient room - their beds are just up next too each other - which means no privacy at all. Confidentiality is not an issue there - no HIPPA laws to protect others from knowing your deepest, darkest secrets. :o) And...if you think our nursing homes are in sad shape...what if your loved one was placed in a stall - literally - the outside elements can come in all sides, no bathing at all, no bathrooms, just a pan for food and some blankets. God has blessed us so much here folks. I spent the weekend thanking God that I am so fortunate to have been born here, have the oportunity to work in a place that "generally speaking" I have all the supplies I need. Although it was difficult to be away from family and friends for that period of time, I would love to do it again more focused as medical missions. My favorite experience while in Brazil was the orphanages. Even though these kids have no family - they were full of life and happiness. One boy in particular stuck to my side - he was showing me all his cars and trucks and even though I could only speak in Spanish - it was enough that we could understand each other. I spent some time playing with another girl and as I was getting ready to leave, she walked up to me and asked if she could go home with me. Folks, that is one of the hardest things to walk away from, knowing that unless a family comes along to adopt, she doesn't have much hope. They don't have foster homes or a system that helps until they are 18. Most of them, if they are not placed by the age of 6, they must be put back on the streets due to the volume of children. Okay....enough sentimental. I posted a few pictures below - hope you enjoy! Intersting pine trees
Quilombo Valley - we stopped here on our way back from the falls
Home for the mentally challenged - they sang for us and actually did a pretty good job!
This church was absolutely beautiful - I tried to convince Nathan and my family to come here for our wedding...as you know...it didn't happen. :o)
The children at the orphange put on a puppet play for us - this was a couple of them receiving their congratulations for a job well done!
Brazil's version of the redneck trash haulers.
So peaceful...one evening while we were out by the bay.
Some Brazilian wildlife...didn't get to see any monkeys - I was really bummed about that.
Our group with some of our translators and guides.
Living conditions for many in Brazil. I realize we have this in the United States - but there it's basically the majority.
The falls up close...some of my friends and I walked down over 900 steps to get this close...then.....we had to climb back up. We got our exercise in that day!
This was taken at a platform above the 900 steps. I hope that you enjoyed this quick little trip to Brazil. :o)
Posted by Nathan and Tricia at 12:49 PM 0 comments

4 comments:

  1. That is SO, SO cool! I didn't know you had gone to Brazil. I also didn't know you spoke Spanish. The pictures are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an interesting post! What was the purpose of the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a month long research project on malnourished children. The over 100page paper was the most fun part of the trip - NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! But what a fun way to do research (well, not that the subject was FUN, but hopefully you know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! They mean so much to me!