Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Act Naturally

This was read on my Nursing Calendar today:

The funniest thing happened to me when I was a newly qualified RGN. I was mentoring two first-year student nurses on their second placement. A patient whom I will call Jack had passed away earlier that morning. I asked my students to perform the last offices, explaining that Jack's wife was on her way and wanted to see Jack before he went to the funeral home. I asked the students to make him look as natural as possible. Of course, I meant put his teeth in and remove the catheter, etc. Unfortunately, the students took me literally. After they told me they had finished, I went into Jack's room to find the students had dressed him in his three-piece brown tweed suit, sat him in the chair, put his glasses on, and put a newspaper on his knees. He certainly looked natural, but it wasn't quite the look I was aiming for!

1 comment:

  1. I can almost see the poor wife's face if she had seen that! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! They mean so much to me!