Thursday, February 2, 2012

Operation: Get Skinny

No, don't be planning interventions for me already...:)  Basically I putting this out there for you guys to hold me accountable...if other's know, I'm more likely to stick to it!
  See, about a year before Addy came along - I was diagnosed with PCOS...which was scary, frustrating, and put a lotta questioning into this girl's mind.  HOWEVER, it did explain why no matter WHAT I did I was consistently gaining weight, among many other things.  I've never been one to eat a lot of junk food, I excercise for the most part pretty regularly, so it was VERY frustrating for me to see the scales keep going up.  Dr. S sent me to a dietician, told me what I could/could not eat, put me on a ton of hormones (that does something for your emotions...I will tell you that!) and I was told to follow up in four months.  In my little pea sized brain - I didn't see how in the world it was going to work, but whatev's - I'd give it a shot.  Four months later, went back to the Dr - no change, but at least I wasn't still gaining.  Small victories, right?  Anyhoo, fast forward through finally getting prego and having Addyson. 
It wasn't until Thanksgiving 2010 I had a big fat, hit me in the face, moment - I saw the above picture.  Don't get me wrong, I love the picture - but I HATED how I looked in it.  I sat and cried as I was editing it (no lies) and thinking to myself "something has got to change."  Probably some of you are rolling your eyes and saying "good grief" but at this point, I was 49 lbs over what I was when we got married.  Not cool at all.  And that is a very hard pill to swallow and admit...to the world.  That day I promised to myself I would somehow get it off, but it had to happen 1) in a healthy way and 2) in a way I didn't feel like I was "depriving" myself. I decided I wasn't going to do any fad, loose it fast diets, (for one thing, I don't want to teach "dieting" to my children, but rather eat and live healthy) but try again what Dr. S had said would work.  And when I say it has come off slow - I mean very, very slow....it's been over a year and I've lost 25-30 lbs.  Some days I'm really good, other days I'm not.  Through the holidays I didn't feel like I was deprived or "not allowed" to eat, but now I'm ready to get back to it - I want to make my goal!

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Sounds like we're on something of the same goal, though I don't think I've been as diligent as you to lose. I have an extra 15 pounds that I can't seem to even begin to tap into. So, I KNOW how discouraging this can be. I am so grateful for how our generation of young mothers seems to be interested in healthful eating/exercising, etc. And I appreciate your transparency, and want you to know I'll be thinking about you as I work on the treadmill. :-) Keep your chin up!

    Kezia Jackman

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! They mean so much to me!