Friday, February 29, 2008

Cooking Catastrophes

Last night was a very humbling experience(s)...I had piano lessons and afterwards thought "I'll fix some soup really fast for supper, then start my list of things to do this evening." ha ha - should have just stopped there in thinking that it would be so easy.

Mess #1: I quickly put on a cheesy potato bacon soup that I purchased at a local Amish store and run upstairs to get some information off the internet I was needing. Lost total track of time - I have a really bad habit of this. Anyways, I suddenly remembered I had supper cooking as I smelled a certain burning odor. Too late. As I walked in to the kitchen...this is not an exaggeration - it was on fire. The cheese had boiled over - went all over the stove, and since I have a gas stove, what was still running over the sides was burning up the side of my pot. AGH!!!!! I hurriedly turned the stove off - which quickly put out the fire. Started cleaning up that mess.

Mess #2: After the whole cheese mess, I rather lost my appetite for supper, but I had to continue with the planned cooking process for the evening. Nathan has been wanting me to make ham salad. I should have known NOT to start after what had just happened. Advice to those that attempt this salad - don't make it unless you have a meat grinder. I naively thought that using my vegetable/cheese shredder would work. NOT. I had bologna all over the cabinet and floor. Will not try this again until my husband purchases that promised meat grinder.

Mess #3: Still did not learn my lesson that this was not my evening for cooking. I had some blueberries in the refridge that I have been planning to make muffins from a friend's recipe. Realized that I didn't have muffin cups - instead of just greasing the cups like a normal person would do, I decide to make a blueberry ripple cake. Halfway through the recipe I remembered that I used the white cake mix for another recipe a few weeks ago. Frantically I look thinking, just maybe I had purchased another one - I did, but it was chocolate. **sigh** Long story short - I concocted a rather interesting looking muffin - they taste great - look terrible. Even my husband was a little skepticle to try and he will eat about anything.

After telling my husband about my evening - his response - "If you cooked like this all the time, we'd be skinny!" Thanks sweetheart - I love you too!!!

5 comments:

  1. We had a bad experience with the Amish soup too. Wes had about half of it fixing, then went to get something from the other room. He wasn't gone very long and came back to it running over and ruining my pan along with making a terrible sticky mess on the stove. He decided to try again and stayed on top of it...it still stuck to the pan and to make matters worse...IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I won't try it again if it was disgusting. I don't need any more fires!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sound like you had a great evening of cooking! and don't worry, i'm also famous for not setting timers, etc!! nathan's tought be better since we've had our share of burnt offerings!! the story gave me a good laugh for the evening though! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just sitting here with a grin on my face. This sounds like me in the kitchen! In fact, I have a blog post saved as a draft regarding burnt soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I think we've all had our share of cooking catastrophes. :) It's more fun reading about someone else's though. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! They mean so much to me!